Welcome

Hi,

First and foremost, thanks for reading this blog. Hopefully you find it quite amusing, it may even interest you. You don't have to be a stand-up comedian to enjoy this blog. You don't even need to know a stand-up comedian. You just need to be amused by the tales of a guy who gets on stage to try and make people laugh, often fails, and then documents it.


Either way, I hope you enjoy the reading and I appreciate your time and support.







Sunday, March 27, 2011

Departure Date Approaching.....

     Ok, the title's a bit of a lie. I still haven't actually booked any flights to leave Melbourne yet so I have no idea when my departure date is. I do, however need to be out of the country by the 24th April due to my visa expiring, so it's not a complete lie.


      I also feel the need to apologise for not keeping this blog totally up to date over the last few weeks. It has basically been a combination of my internet playing silly buggers with me and me not actually having attended any form of stand up in the last 10 days or so.
    I didn't even go to the workshop on Tuesday as I flew out to Adelaide to see an old chum. Be honest though, who would've wanted to read another paragraph about another workshop anyway? There was a faint hint of me getting a last minute gig if I'd of gone but what can you do? I'll go this Tuesday and see how we go from there. And like I said, my internet decided to shit itself and I couldn't even do the lazy thing of putting a video on the blog. But all is sorted (for now) and thankfully we can continue our journey together.


     So what have I been doing?

    Good question. Thanks for asking. Well my 8 hour a week job picture framing has now been cut to 4 hours a week. Yes, it means the small amount of money I was earning has now been halved, but it does free up another four hours a week to stream old episodes of 30 Rock and Gavin and Stacey. Productive. I am a step closer to cracking New Zealand though. I have applied for my Working Holidy Visa and done some research into where I can find open mic nights in Auckland. It's a very small step, but a step closer none-the-less.
     At the moment I have found a whopping two venues in Auckland that host open mic nights. I'm sure there are more but I will have to look into it further before drawing any conclusions.


     I also attended the first AFL game of the season at the MCG on Thursday night. AFL is Aussie Rules Football for anyone who doesn't know. And man, that is one fucked up sport!
    I would have to describe it as a mix of soccer, volleyball and rugby, played by men dressed as basketballers where two teams run around hitting the ball to each other with their hands or kicking it to each other, while trying to ultimately kick it through a set of posts to score some points. Everything else seems to be impossible to understand and, frankly, irrelevant in the outcome of a game.
    I do think the Australians have missed a trick though. Why stop at just creating one new sport by combining three others? I think there are unlimited options to creating new sports from merging old ones if that's all it takes. What about Aussie Rules Cricket-Fishing-Darts. Where one team throws a fish toward the other teams stumps, the batting side have to hit the fish as far as possible with a bat to score runs, and instead of trying to catch the fish, the bowling team have to throw darts at it. If a dart sticks in the fish before it hits the ground, the batter is out.      
   Or what about Aussie Rules Powerpainteering. Where two teams go orienteering by power-walking through a forest with paintball guns. Each team can win by either reaching all of the orienteering points first, or by eliminating every member on the other team by shooting them as you see them. All the while remembering that it's instant disqualification if you ever break into a jog. Oh, and it might be funnier if it were a naked sport. Just a thought.


     As you can see, I have way too much time on my hands at the moment and, frankly, I'm looking forward to getting somewhere new where my mind is stimulated beyond inventing new sports.

    So my next update will be next week when I've attended a workshop. Again, there is a slim chance of getting a gig but don't hold your breath. Firstly because it's unlikely I'll get a gig but secondly because I might not blog until mid-week and that's a long time to hold your breath and there's a chance you would die. And that is something I don't want on my hands.
     I'm not 100% sure but it can't be too long until Syn opens up again at a new location. When they shut they said they would find a new location within a couple of weeks so let's hope I can get a gig there before I leave.


     Until next time, my friends, look after yourselves. And one another.

                 One World. One Love.
                                       Sean

    

No comments:

Post a Comment