Welcome

Hi,

First and foremost, thanks for reading this blog. Hopefully you find it quite amusing, it may even interest you. You don't have to be a stand-up comedian to enjoy this blog. You don't even need to know a stand-up comedian. You just need to be amused by the tales of a guy who gets on stage to try and make people laugh, often fails, and then documents it.


Either way, I hope you enjoy the reading and I appreciate your time and support.







Sunday, February 27, 2011

Scouting Venues, Booking Gigs, and Being Hungover.........

Greetings,

    I come to you today feeling slightly worse for wear. I stayed up last night to watch the Six Nations game between England and France drinking with friends so forgive me if I don't bring my A- game to this post. I am, however, feeling much better. Mainly due to the plate of scrambled eggs, coffee and Berrocca I had about 20 minutes ago. My mood is also bouyed by the fact Channel 7 have decided to air the K-9 as their Sunday afternoon movie. I don't know about you but I think this film is a classic and demands more respect than it gets. I'd say it's up there with Turner and Hooch and Beethoven as the best dog based movie of all time. And, to bring me further joy, I have discovered that K-9 was written by none other than Under Siege's Steven Seagal. Who knew? But this isn't what I came to write about so I'll move on.


     As I mentioned before, I checked out M.I.B and Syn on Tuesday night. Then on Wednesday I was semi-planning to go and check out Deathstar to see if it was a room I could see myself playing in. Also, Rob, a friend from the workshop, was playing there so I was going to support him. As it turned out I was far too lazy and stayed at home so I still don't know what Deathstar is like. Perhaps this Wednesday I will go. I think I've just been putting it off because I can't see it being the best comedy or the friendliest crowd at a place called Deathstar. It's a bit like eating at a restaurant called "Mouldy", or getting a hooker from the "Aids Brothel". I guess there's only one way to find out though.


     However on Thursday, I did venture out to a venue I'd never been before call Monastery on Church. It's basically just a pub that runs an open mic night on Thursday nights. It's a bit out of the way so I don't think it's one of the bigger places to go. When I got there at about 8.30, the comedy had already started and had finished by about 9.40 so there aren't many acts on each night either. The audience was small but friendly enough, and the acts were mostly people who are in Melbourne for the upcoming Comedy Festival and they're just rehearsing or trying new stuff before they do it for real. It's not strictly a comedy night either, it's a generic open mic night so there were also two musical acts just playing and singing. To be fair, the guy who went on last and played the guitar was awesome and he did some great covers and had some really good original songs.
    I was really unsure as to whether I wanted to get myself a gig there because everyone there seemed to be a member of an exclusive club. The MC, the acts and the audience all seemed to be a little group of friends which is quite intimidating for an outsider to penetrate. But if there's one thing I'm good at, it's penetrating. So I booked myself a gig there for this Thursday. Mostly because I think it will be good practice and it doesn't really matter if I cock up because hardly anyone is there to see it. So that's another gig pencilled in and hopefully I can make some progress.


     I have also achieved a bit of a personal milestone. I have informed my parents and one of my friends that I have started doing stand up. It's one of my friends from rugby who thinks of himself as "One of the lads" so I was unsure whether he'd just take the piss or not. He probably will take the piss behind my back but that's expected of him. He was quite supportive to me though and told me he thought it was cool and was asking questions and showing general interest, so that was positive.
     I told my parents via email and have yet to hear back from them. They either haven't checked their mail or have disowned me. Time will tell. To be honest, they'll probably think it's a wind up until I show them the blog and the photos. I wouldn't blame them either. Why would their 25 year old, rugby playing, beer swilling, head-screwed-on son suddenly take to the stage and participate in the arts? Because I'm fucking hilarious, that's why.


     I also briefly mentioned that the Melbourne Comedy Festival is coming up. This will hopefully be a good chance to get out and see some really good established acts over the next month or so. I already have a little wish list of who I want to see. Reginald D.Hunter, Tommy Tiernan, Sammy J, Mark Watson and Ava Videl being just a few. Perhaps I'll try my hand at being a comedy critic too so I can report to you who is worth a watch. I'll keep you posted.


     So next time I post, I will have had another gig, been to another workshop and seen some more comedians so with any luck I'll have something good to report. But until then............


      Stay safe, buckle up, look both ways before crossing, don't do drugs, smoking kills, and take care,

                          Sean

1 comment:

  1. a restaurant called "Mouldy", or getting a hooker from the "Aids Brothel". Hahaha classic

    - Dil

    ReplyDelete