Welcome

Hi,

First and foremost, thanks for reading this blog. Hopefully you find it quite amusing, it may even interest you. You don't have to be a stand-up comedian to enjoy this blog. You don't even need to know a stand-up comedian. You just need to be amused by the tales of a guy who gets on stage to try and make people laugh, often fails, and then documents it.


Either way, I hope you enjoy the reading and I appreciate your time and support.







Sunday, July 31, 2011

New Set, New Audience, New City.........

Friends,

  
After many a week of comedic inactivity, we finally have movement!


As I mentioned, I was spending some time in the wee township of Picton. I don't know why, but NZ doesn't have villages, it has townships which I think make it sound very Victorian. Or Amish. The point is, I've left Picton now and am in windy Wellington in search of some work and/or money.


The Fringe Bar, the next venue
for me to conquer
After a little bit of research, I found an open mic night last Monday and dutifully attended with the aim of checking out the sort of stuff the locals find funny. It was at a venue called Fringe Bar which is located at the end of Wellington's uber-hip, uber-trendy Cuba Street (This means the guys wear tighter jeans than the girls and everyone has enormous headphones around their neck without ever actually listening to any music.). I have to say, it's a pretty decent set-up they have down there. I was kind of expecting a tiny bar with a microphone and stand in the corner of the room, but there is a decent sized stage, a sound booth, and it's well lit.


The open-mic night is called "Raw Meat Mondays" which makes it sound like the comedians are scared little lambs there for the taking, so I was apprehensive as to how the audience would handle people trying new material out. But they were great. I don't think I heard a single heckle. In fact the closest thing to a heckle was when the Mrs leaned in and whispered in my ear, "This. Is. Shit.". I wonder how she'll react to seeing me for the first time? In her defence, some of it was a bit shit.


This is what you look like if you hold a
piece of paper on stage
Because I'm pretty much a veteran on the comedy scene now I feel like I can say this - there are a few things I would change about the acts getting on stage. For starters, all of them took there notebooks and scribbled on pieces of paper on stage with them. I would make sure people didn't do this for a couple of reasons. Firstly it looks terrible when they have to keep referring to a sheet of paper to get a laugh. And secondly, when you are nervous, the sheet of paper in your hand shakes like a shitting dog and it screams out how nervous you are. Obviously these are just my opinions, but when I'm nervous I'd try anything I can to make it look like I'm not. Overall though, it was a really well run night and the standard of comedy is actually pretty good.


I was inspired to book myself in for a gig. So it's my pleasure to announce, on Monday 8th August, I will be making my New Zealand debut. Maybe sooner actually because I'm going to head down again tomorrow to see if there has been a slot open up. And on top of this, I will be trying out completely new material. I managed to sit down the other night and scour through all of the bits I have written down over the last couple of months, and have pieced together a new 5 minute set. It will need a lot of tweaking and at least 5 or 6 attempts at open mics before it becomes any good but I think it has potential.


I am pretty pleased to be back on the comedy train again after a couple of extended stops and hopefully it will all go well and I will have plenty to talk about in my next post.


On a quick final note, my aim for the blog is to make it an interactive thing where people will leave comments and what not, so if you happen to be reading this (and why wouldn't you be?) then write a comment. Even if you don't follow any blogs, stumbled onto it and never plan to return, it would be nice. You could say how much you think it's all a piece of poo or how you'll never get the 5 minutes it took you to read it back. I don't care.


If you have actually managed to read this blog all the way down to this point, let me be the first to congratulate you and thank you.



Now comment.

4 comments:

  1. It went well. I will go into details in my next blog, which I'll do in the next couple of days. But all in all it I was quite pleased considering it was the premiere of my new six minute set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the misuss watch you this time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I am yet to be watched by the all important girlfriend. One day I will be brave enough to get her along.

    ReplyDelete