Welcome

Hi,

First and foremost, thanks for reading this blog. Hopefully you find it quite amusing, it may even interest you. You don't have to be a stand-up comedian to enjoy this blog. You don't even need to know a stand-up comedian. You just need to be amused by the tales of a guy who gets on stage to try and make people laugh, often fails, and then documents it.


Either way, I hope you enjoy the reading and I appreciate your time and support.







Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Couple Of Nice Surprises........

Dudes and Dudettes,


     I haven't felt the need to blog twice in one week in some. After all, this is a blog about the stand up comedy scene and me trying to crack it, if nothing happens, why write? But this week has re-sparked what was a dwindling impetus to carry on.
    First of all, I made the journey to the workshop on Tuesday and was pretty pleased to see there was only about 5-10 people there. I've decided I enjoy it a lot more when it isn't too busy. Plus the couple of people that always seem to get up weren't there so it was nice to see some new guys try stuff out. However the best thing about the workshop was the fact that I learned that The Exford Hotel, in the city, hosts an open mic night EVERY SINGLE NIGHT throughout the comedy festival. And, to make it even better, you don't need to book your spot weeks in advance. You can just rock up and hopefully get on. I thought I had done my last gig in Australia. Man, was I wrong. One of the guys told me that last year he did sixteen gigs at The Exford during the festival. That's twice as many gigs in three weeks than I've done in four months. So if I can do maybe five there, I will see that as a success. I have heard though, that it's a seriously tough crowd and you'll find out if you really have what it takes once you've gigged there during the festival. I even heard a guy got stabbed there last year. I don't mind a bit of heckling but I think a stabbing is a bit overboard. I'll have to remember my stab vest.


      And the bestest best thing to come from the workshop, was that someone pulled a no-show for their gig and I managed to blag myself a spot. Like I said, I didn't think I would have another gig in Australia so I hadn't so much as looked at my set in the last two or three weeks. I felt really under prepared but also really motivated because I wanted it to go better than my last pitiful attempt at M.I.B. I spent about an hour back stage reading through my notes and watching recordings of previous performances to try and get it to sink in. And I just about achieved it.
   It wasn't my best gig. I still believe my best gig was the last time I did Syn. But this one was infitately better than M.I.B. I got some pretty good laughs considering the size of the audience so I was happy. This was also the first gig I feel I can learn something positive from. For instance, I now know my set needs tightening up for a start. There are points where I try and keep the audience's laughter ticking over with some chuckle worthy lines, but they just don't seem to be getting even a chuckle. I think it's time I cut some of them out and replaced them with proper jokes.
   Also, less importantly, this gig means I have performed at The Comic's Lounge, M.I.B, Syn Bar, Monastery on Church, and now, Blah Blah Comedy Club. Not a bad haul considering 6 months ago I had no intention of doing this.


     And finally, earlier this afternoon I purchased tickets to see Ava Vidal's show on Tuesday night. I'm looking forward to seeing it because she's very funny from what I've seen so far. But, more interestingly, while I was buying the tickets the manager of the venue asked if I liked comedy. I said "Yes, funny you should ask while I'm currently purchasing tickets to see a comedy show, I do". He went on to explain that two other comedians were doing shows at the venue and were doing preview shows tonight (31.03.11), that hadn't sold out and the comedians want to do their previews in front of full audiences, so did I want some free tickets to see two shows tonight for absolutely nothing. "Fuck yes!" I said in a slightly more polite way. So for $35, I have two tickets to Ava Vidal on Tuesday, two tickets to Henning Wehn tonight at 7pm and two tickets to Ian Bagg tonight at 8.30pm. How good is that?!
     So I'm going to have tonnes to report on next week. Hopefully all good news.


   As much as I'd love to continue chatting, the show starts in 45 minutes and I am in desperate need of a shower so must go.

                     Lovely hearing from you again.


                                              Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment