Welcome

Hi,

First and foremost, thanks for reading this blog. Hopefully you find it quite amusing, it may even interest you. You don't have to be a stand-up comedian to enjoy this blog. You don't even need to know a stand-up comedian. You just need to be amused by the tales of a guy who gets on stage to try and make people laugh, often fails, and then documents it.


Either way, I hope you enjoy the reading and I appreciate your time and support.







Thursday, March 17, 2011

Are You Sitting Comfortably? Then I Shall Begin.......

Chaps,


    Just to put the world at ease, I'm not giving up comedy. I still want to carry on despite suffering a few performance lows over the last few weeks. Surely that shows some sort of commitment? At the very least it shows balls.
    
     I am pretty much done in Australia though. I have no gigs booked at all at the moment, and I am unlikely to get one with the whole Festival malarkey going on soon. I wasn't even going to go to the workshop this week as I didn't really see a point. I've decided that while I'm still in Oz, I'll concentrate more on rugby and then get back into comedy when I get to New Zealand. I did go to the workshop though and I'm glad I did. I found out that the workshop and open mic night at the Comic's Lounge would be closing over the next 6 weeks as of this Tuesday (22.03.11), but Robbie G, the guy who runs the 'shop, is going to open the Blah Blah Comedy Club, which he runs, as an open mic venue on Tuesdays, to keep giving new comedians a crack at it while the Festival is on. Now, this bares pretty much no relevance to me at all, except for the fact for the fact that due to the move of location, some of the acts who were pencilled in to have a gig over the next 3 weeks might not be able to make it. And I am officially top of the "reserves" list in case there are any drop outs. So there is hope of one more gig in Melbourne yet.
     Other than the workshop, I've been really lazy/unmotivated to see any comedy.


     So, as promised, in place of tales of the Melbourne comedy scene, here's a tale from my past that is humorous for nearly everyone except me...........


     When I was about 15 I discovered alcohol. But not in the "Sipping beer, in a pub garden, on a hot Summer's afternoon" way. More in a "Steal booze from your parents liquor cabinet and neck as much as you can, sat on a park bench, on a cold and wet November evening" kind of way. Me and my friends would all take something from home and meet up and get way too drunk than we should be. When I see kids do this now, I think they look like bell ends and I get slightly embarrassed that I used to be one of them.
     One particular night though I managed to get obscenely drunk and ended up in hospital. It's pretty shameful but it happened so whatever. Obviously I don't remember much, and I think I was pissed for about 3 days straight. Trust me, it sounds more fun than it was. You can't imagine the hangover I had. Anyway, I woke up in the children's ward of my local hospital wondering where I was and why there was a mural of teddy bears dancing on a rainbow in front of me. My Dad explained what had happened, I had a good cry, a couple of even better vomits, then decided it was time for my hangover humpty. That's hangover "poo" for anyone who isn't aware.
  
    I headed to the toilet, still drunk, wheeling along the drip drip bag that was attached to my arm. Sat down on the loo and started proceedings. I must of nodded off because the next thing I know the toilet door has been kicked down by a doctor and two nurses ready to resuscitate me. However I wasn't unconscious and in need of resuscitation, I was mid poo, trousers round my ankles, enjoying a much needed nap. What's more is the fact that they startled me so much that I fell off the seat and landed on the floor legs akimbo, bearing all to those in the room.

     I was very embarrassed, being 15 years old and dealing with puberty, but also very impressed with the professionalism that the hospital staff showed by holding in their laughter.......for all of about 5 seconds. All in all not a great weekend for me. But I did learn, that fateful night, that there is no point trying to keep up with others when drinking if you are a lightweight. I now know that after a brandy snap and a couple of wine gums, I've hit my limit.


     So that's that. Another week, another blog. Tune in next week for more embarrassing tales from my past and possibly other things that are more related to the purpose of this blog.


      Over and out.

                Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment